Ferrara was founded in the Middle Ages around the 6th century after Christ.
First developed as a linear city along the bank of the Po river, it lived its communal phase until the 14th century when the affirmation of the Este Family began to delineate a real noble power.
The Este Family held the city until 1598 when it returned to the possessions of the Holy See until the 18th century.
Today the city is a sought-after tourist destination and among ancient buildings, churches, monuments and parks, it presents several hundred points of interest such as the Estense Castle, a very famous fortress constructed in 1385 along the outer walls that then ran at that point, the Cathedral, built in 1135 by the will of a very rich noble citizen dedicated to San Giorgio, the Palazzo dei Diamanti, commissioned by Sigismondo d’Este in 1492, the Palazzo Schifanoia, a real town delight, started to be built in 1385 by the desire of Alberto V d’Este.
The urban road system is also of considerable interest, from the axis of Via delle Volte, a medieval artery with its fondachi of the ancient merchants to the addition of Erculea, designed by Biagio Rossetti and today considered the first urban plan ever made.
Ferrara is still surrounded by its beautiful set of walls which were constructed at various stages between the 15th and 17th centuries, the city walls can now be entirely covered on foot or by bicycle in its almost ten kilometers.